Tolvaptan is used for the treatment of low levels of salt or sodium in the blood. It may lead to certain conditions such as hormone imbalance and heart failure. Too much hormone can cause an imbalance that results in fluid retention and low sodium levels. This medication helps to slowly increase to normal levels of salt in the blood.
How does Tolvaptan work?
Tolvaptan acts on the V2 receptors found in the walls of the vasculature and luminal membranes of renal collecting ducts. By blocking V2 receptors in the renal collecting ducts, aquaporins do not insert themselves into the walls. Thus, it prevents the absorption of the water.
This action results in decreased urine osmolality, an increase in urine volume, and increase electrolyte-free water clearance. It is to lessen the intravascular volume and increase serum sodium levels. Tolvaptan is especially useful for heart failure patients as they have higher serum levels of vasopressin.
Why use Tolvaptan?
Tolvaptan is a selective and competitive arginine vasopressin receptor-II antagonist. This is supplied as an immediate-release tablet with its brand name Jynarque. Each tablet is available in the strengths of 15 mg, 30 mg, 45 mg, 60 mg, and 90 mg for oral use. The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has already approved this medication.
How to use Tolvaptan?
Tolvaptan is to be taken by mouth usually once a day. You may take it with or without a meal. Drink plenty of fluid while taking this medication. Remember to take it at the same time each day. The dosage is based on your medical condition and response to the treatment. Do not take more than the prescription. It is important that you take it exactly as it is prescribed.
What are the side effects of Tolvaptan?
- Dry skin
- Decreased appetite
- Feeling unwell
- Nighttime urination
- Increased urination both in volume and frequency
- High uric acid in the blood
- Heart palpitations
Warnings and Precautions
- Do not suddenly stop or change the dose of this medication without consulting your doctor.
- Tell your doctor if you have any allergies before taking this drug.
- You should not eat grapefruit or drink grapefruit juice while having this medicine.
- If you are a pregnant or breastfeeding woman, talk to your doctor first.
- Keep this far from heat and moisture to avoid some contaminations.