What condition does Tamsulosin Hydrochloride treat?
Tamsulosin Hydrochloride is used by men to treat the symptoms of an enlarged prostate. This type of condition is called benign prostatic hyperplasia (BPH). This medication helps to relieve symptoms of BPH such as:
- Difficulty in beginning the flow of urine
- Weak stream
- The necessity to urinate often or immediately during at middle of the night
This prescription belongs to the class of medication called alpha-adrenergic blockers. This comes as a capsule for oral use. Each capsule contains Tamsulosin Hydrochloride as an active ingredient. The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has already approved this medication.
How does Tamsulosin Hydrochloride work?
Tamsulosin Hydrochloride works by relaxing both the bladder neck muscles. It also relaxes the muscle of the prostate gland itself. By doing so, men with prostate problems can urinate more freely and the need to urinate at nighttime is reduced. It also helps to improve the flow of your urine.
What is the recommended dosage for Tamsulosin Hydrochloride?
Take this prescription regularly to get the most benefit from it. Take it exactly as it is prescribed. Do not take it more often than the prescription. The dosage is based on your medical condition or response.
This medicine is usually taken once a day. It is to be taken 30 minutes after the same meal each day. Swallow the drug as a whole. Do not chew or break it. It is to be taken by mouth with a full glass of water. Remember to take it at the same time every day. Do not give this medicine to children, unless on the advice of a specialist.
Your doctor will probably start you on a low dose of this medication and may increase your dose after 2 to 4 weeks. Tamsulosin may help control your condition, but it will not cure it. Continue to take this medicine even if you feel well. Do not stop taking it without talking to your doctor.
What are the side effects of Tamsulosin Hydrochloride?
Common side effects:
- Back pain
- Blurred vision
- Sore throat
- Sleep problems
- Runny or stuffy nose
What are the precautions in taking Tamsulosin Hydrochloride?
- While taking this drug, avoid drinking grapefruit juice. It may interact with this drug.
- Older adults may be more sensitive to the side effects of this medicine, especially low blood pressure or dizziness when getting up from a lying or sitting position. These side effects can increase the risk of falling.
- Avoid also taking alcohol if you are using this medication.
- It is important to tell your doctor if you have current medications.
- Let your doctor know if you are allergic to this drug or if you have any allergies. This drug may contain an inactive ingredient that causes an allergic reaction.
- Call for medical help if there is an allergic reaction or an overdose.
- You should tell your doctor if you are planning to become pregnant or if you are already pregnant before taking this drug.
- Keep this away from the reach of children or pets.