Where is Salmeterol Xinafoate used?
Salmeterol Xinafoate is a prescription used to control and prevent symptoms caused by asthma or ongoing lung disease. The disease is called chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD). This belongs to the class of medication called long-acting beta-agonists. It opens the airways in the lungs to make breathing easier. If you control the symptoms of breathing problems, it might lessen the time lost from school or work.
How does Salmeterol Xinafoate work?
This medication is FDA-approved that acts in the lungs particularly on its receptors known as beta 2 receptors. As soon as the drug stimulates these receptors, it causes the muscles in the airways to relax. This permits the airways to open. In conditions where there is a narrowing of the airways, such as chronic obstructive pulmonary disease, it is difficult for air to get in and out of the lungs. Using opening the airways, this medicine makes it easier to breathe. Salmeterol Xinafoate does not open the airways as quickly as short-acting beta 2 agonists. However, it does keep the airways open for much longer.
How is Salmeterol Xinafoate taken?
Salmeterol Xinafoate is to be taken using an inhaler device. Inhaling the medicine permits it to act straight in the lungs where it is needed most. It also decreases the likelihood to have side effects in other parts of the body. As the amount absorbed into the blood through the lungs is lower than if it were taken by mouth. Salmeterol is usually used regularly twice a day. However, you should follow the instructions given by your doctor. It may be when you will use the medication or how many inhalations you should use each day. You should not exceed the prescribed dose.
Close the device after each use. If you are using other inhalers at the same time, wait at least 1 minute between the uses of each medication, and use this drug last. This medication works best if used at evenly spaced times. You may take each dose in the morning and the evening 12 hours apart.
What are the precautions in taking Salmeterol Xinafoate?
- Once you have started taking this medication, your symptoms are likely to improve. However, you must not stop using or reduce your dose of any anti-inflammatory medicines you are using. It will make your symptoms get worse again.
- Certain medicines should not be used in pregnant or breastfeeding women. However, other medicines may be safely used providing the benefits to the mother outweigh the risks to the unborn baby. Before using any medicine, always inform your doctor if you are pregnant or planning a pregnancy.
- Inhalers may cause an unexpected increase in wheezing straight after using them. If this occurs, stop using the inhaler immediately and consult your doctor. The medicine should be stopped and an alternative treatment found.
- Use this product with caution in people with irregular heartbeats, heart disease, hypertension, hyperthyroidism, or diabetes.
- This should not be used in people with known sensitivity or allergy to any ingredient that this product has.
- This is not as well recommended for use in children under 4 years of age.
- This medication should not be used to relieve sudden asthma attacks. This won’t work quickly enough. Make sure you keep your separate reliever inhaler with you at all times in case you need it.