Piperacillin-Tazobactam is a prescription used to treat serious bacterial infections such as peritonitis, pneumonia, septicemia, or urinary tract infections. This may also be used in people with a low white blood cell count or called neutropenia.
Peritonitis is inflammation of the peritoneum. It is the thin layer of tissue covering the inside of your abdomen and most of its organs. Peritonitis is usually caused by infection from bacteria or fungi. If left untreated, this disease can rapidly spread into the blood and to other organs resulting in multiple organ failure and death. The first symptoms of peritonitis are typically poor appetite and nausea.
Pneumonia inflames the air sacs in one or both lungs. The air sacs may fill with fluids or pus that causes cough with phlegm, chills, fever, and difficulty breathing. This disease can range in seriousness from mild to life-threatening. Pneumonia is more serious for infants and young children, people older than 65, and people with weakened immune systems.
Septicemia is a bloodstream infection also known as blood poisoning. It occurs when a bacterial infection enters the bloodstream. This is dangerous because the bacteria and their toxins can be carried through the bloodstream to your entire body. This disease is caused by an infection in another part of your body and typically severe.
Urinary tract infections infect any part of your urinary system. It affects your kidneys, bladder, ureters, and urethra. Women are at greater risk of developing this type of condition than are men. Infection that limited to your bladder can be annoying and painful. Nevertheless, serious concerns can happen if a urinary tract infection spreads to your kidneys.
Piperacillin-Tazobactam is in the class of medications called penicillin antibiotics. This product is a combination of two antibiotics – Piperacillin and Tazobactam. Piperacillin can be destroyed by an enzyme produced by bacteria called beta-lactamase. It is an extended-spectrum penicillin antibiotic. Tazobactam prevents the destruction of Piperacillin and inhibits beta-lactamase. Therefore, Piperacillin and Tazobactam are effectively combined to enhance the activity of each other in eradicating bacterial infections. The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has already approved this medication. Piperacillin-Tazobactam comes as a single dose vial with the dosage forms of 2.25 g, 3.375 g, 4.5 g, and 40.5 g.
How does Piperacillin-Tazobactam work?
Piperacillin-Tazobactam works by weakening the cell walls of bacteria. It allows holes to appear in the cell wall that kills off the bacteria causing the infection. Some certain bacteria are unaffected to penicillin-type antibiotics. It is because they have established the capability to create defensive chemicals called beta-lactamase. These interfere with the structure of penicillin-type antibiotics and stop them from working. Tazobactam is a type of medicine called a beta-lactamase inhibitor that stops the bacteria from inactivating the Piperacillin. Wherein, it increases the range of bacteria that the Piperacillin can kill.
How to use Piperacillin-Tazobactam?
Piperacillin-Tazobactam is to be given by injection into a vein as directed by your doctor. It is usually given every 6 hours and should be injected slowly over at least 30 minutes. Clean the injection with rubbing alcohol before injecting each dose. If you missed a dose, take it as soon as you remember it. If it’s almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and continue your regular dosing schedule. Do not take twice the prescribed dosage to make up for the missed dose.
The dosage will depend on your medical condition, age, and response to the treatment. Your doctor may direct you to start at a low dose and gradually increase it. Follow the instructions of your doctor very carefully. You should not take the medication more or less than it is prescribed. Check it visually for particles or discoloration before using this product. Do not use the liquid if either is present. Learn how to store and discard medical supplies safely. To get the most benefit from it, use the medication regularly. Remember to use the prescription at the same time and in the same way each day. Let your doctor know if your condition does not improve or if it gets worse.
What the side effects of Piperacillin-Tazobactam?
Common side effects:
- Trouble sleeping or insomnia
- Stomach pain or upset
- Runny nose
- Skin rash
- Vaginal discharge or itching
- Injection site reactions (redness, swelling, pain, soreness, or irritation)
Call your doctor right away if you have:
- Diarrhea that is watery or bloody
- Severe stomach pain
- Low potassium levels (constipation, leg cramps, fluttering in your chest, and muscle weakness)
- Low white blood cell counts (mouth sores, fever, sore throat, skin sores or cough)
Get emergency medical help if you have any signs of an allergic reaction:
- Trouble breathing
- Swelling of your face, lips, tongue, and throat
Warnings and Precautions
- This medication is not given in people who had an allergic reaction to it. Inform your doctor if you have any allergies. This product may contain am inactive ingredients that may cause an allergic reaction.
- Let your doctor know if you have any medical history especially of kidney disease or cystic fibrosis.
- This drug contains sodium. Consult your doctor if you have a condition that could be worsened by an increase in the salt intake or on a salt-restricted diet.
- Piperacillin-Tazobactam may cause live bacterial vaccines to not work as well. Do not receive any vaccinations or immunizations without the consent of your doctor.
- Tell your doctor if you have any medications such as herbal supplements or vitamins while taking this prescription.
- Do not share this or any of your medications with others even if they have the same symptoms as yours.
- This is not recommended for use in pregnant or breastfeeding women. Consult your doctor first if needed.
- This drug may make you dizzy. Alcohol can make you dizzier. Do not use any machinery or do anything that needs your alertness until you can do it safely.
- Avoid alcoholic beverages while having this treatment.
- Keep this at room temperature far from moisture, heat, and reach of children.