Where is Pindolol used?
Pindolol is used alone or with other medications to treat hypertension. This may also be used to treat angina pectoris. It is a type of chest pain caused by reduced blood flow to the heart. This condition is often described as pressure, squeezing, heaviness, tightness, or pain in your chest.
Pindolol is in the class of medications called beta-blockers. This blocks the effects of certain natural substances on the heart and blood vessels. This results in a lowering of blood pressure, heart rate, and strain on the heart. Pindolol is a prescription approved by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA). This is supplied as a tablet for oral use.
How does Pindolol work?
Pindolol works by blocking beta receptors that are found in various parts of the body. By blocking, it prevents the action of two hormones that are produced naturally by the body called adrenaline and noradrenaline. These hormones are often referred to as fight or flight chemicals. These are responsible for the body’s reaction to stressful situations. This drug blocks beta receptors and lessens the action of noradrenaline and adrenaline in the heart. In turn, this reduces the pressure at which the blood is pumped out of the heart and around the body which helps to decrease blood pressure.
The action of Pindolol in slowing the rate and force of the heartbeat also lessens the energy used by the heart to pump blood around the body. This reduces the need of the heart for oxygen. Pindolol reduces the workload of the heart and so lessens the amount of oxygen that it needs to pump blood around the body. This helps to prevent angina attacks.
How is Pindolol taken?
You must take this medication exactly as it is given by your doctor. Your doctor may direct you to start at a lower dose and eventually increase it.
Pindolol is to be taken by mouth usually twice a day or as directed by your doctor. You may take each tablet with or without a meal. It may take 1 to 2 weeks before the full benefit of this medication takes effect for certain conditions. For hypertension, this medication should be taken regularly.
What are the possible side effects of Pindolol?
Common side effects:
- Muscle or joint pain
- Sleep problems or insomnia
- Feeling tired
Call your doctor right away if you are experiencing the following:
- Shortness of breath
- Slow or uneven heartbeats
- Unusual changes in mood and behavior
- Rapid weight gain
- A light-headed feeling like you might pass out
What are the precautions in taking Pindolol?
- Pindolol may cause fatigue and dizziness. You should be careful when performing potentially hazardous activities like driving or operating machinery.
- If you go to the dentist to have an operation, you should tell the person treating that you are having this treatment.
- When treatment with this medicine is stopped, it must be done gradually typically over 1 to 2 weeks and following the orders of your doctor.
- This medication should be used with caution in elderly people, those with decreased liver or kidney function, those with abnormal muscle weakness, and people with the overactive thyroid gland.
- This should also be used with caution in people with a history of heart failure, allergies, or sudden drops in blood sugar levels.