What condition does Lurasidone Hydrochloride treat?
Lurasidone Hydrochloride is an oral psychiatric medicine used for the treatment of certain mood/mental disorders such as:
- Depression associated with bipolar disorder
This medication helps you feel less nervous, think more clearly, and take part in your everyday life. Lurasidone Hydrochloride may also help decrease hallucinations like hearing or seeing things that are not there.
Lurasidone Hydrochloride is in the family of medications known as atypical antipsychotics. This helps you improve your mood, sleep, energy level, and appetite. This medicine also helps you restore the stability of natural substances in your brain. The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has already approved this medication in 2012.
How does Lurasidone Hydrochloride work?
Lurasidone Hydrochloride works by blocking receptors for several neurotransmitters in the brain. Neurotransmitters are chemicals the nerves used to communicate with each other. It binds to dopamine and serotonin type 2 (5-HT2) receptors that help you to be more active and feel less emotional or nervous.
What is the recommended dosage for Lurasidone Hydrochloride?
Take Lurasidone Hydrochloride exactly as it is prescribed. Take this medication regularly to get the most benefit from it. To help you remember, take it at the same time each day.
This medication is to be taken by mouth with a full glass of water. Usually, it is taken once a day or as directed by your doctor. The dosage is based on your medical condition and response to it. Continue taking this medicine even if you are feeling better and thinking more clearly. Do not increase your dose or take the medicine more often than prescribed. Your symptoms will not improve any faster, and your risk of side effects will increase. Do not stop taking this medication without consulting your doctor.
What are the side effects of Lurasidone Hydrochloride?
- Stomach pain
- Loss of appetite
- Muscle stiffness
- Weight gain
- Inability to keep still
- Breast swelling or discharge
- Trouble swallowing
- Flu symptoms
- Sores in your mouth and throat
What are the precautions in taking Lurasidone Hydrochloride?
- Before taking this medication, tell your doctor if you are allergic to it. Tell also if you have any allergies. This drug may have an inactive ingredient that causes an allergic reaction.
- Let your doctor know if you have a medical history of liver problems, strokes, or diabetes.
- This drug may make you dizzy. Do not drive or do anything that needs your alertness.
- Avoid alcoholic beverages while taking this medication.
- Consult your doctor if you are pregnant or breastfeeding women.
- Avoid drinking grapefruit juice or eating grapefruit while using this medicine unless your doctor or pharmacist says you may do so safely. Grapefruit can increase the chance of side effects with this medicine. Ask your doctor for more details.
- You should know that this drug may make it harder for your body to cool down when it gets very hot. Tell your doctor if you plan to exercise or be exposed to extreme heat.
- Keep this far from heat and moisture.