Levetiracetam is indicated for the treatment of epilepsy. It is a central nervous system disorder. In which the activity of the brain becomes abnormal which causes seizures. Epilepsy may also cause periods of unusual behavior, sensations, or sometimes loss of awareness.
This medication helps lessen the number of seizures you have. This is used with other medications to treat the condition.
How does Levetiracetam work?
Levetiracetam works by calming electrical activity in the brain. The nerves and brain are made up of many nerve cells that communicate with each other through electrical signals. These signals must be sensibly controlled for the nerves and brain to work well. When abnormally rapid and repetitive electrical signals are released in the brain, it becomes over-stimulated and normal function is disturbed. This results in fits or seizures.
Why use Levetiracetam?
Levetiracetam is an antiepileptic drug available as:
- 250 mg
- 750 mg
- 1000 mg
This medicine has the brand name of Keppra. It is supplied as tablets for oral use. Each tablet contains Levetiracetam as an active ingredient. It is with a faint odor and a bitter taste and a white to off-white crystalline powder. The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has already approved this medication.
How to use Levetiracetam?
This medication is usually taken twice a day by mouth. You may take each dose with or without food or as directed by your doctor. Dissolve the tablet before swallowing it. Do not swallow as a whole.
The dosage is based on your medical condition and response to the treatment. Take each dose at the same time every day. Do not increase your dose or use this drug more often or for longer than prescribed. Do not also stop taking this without consulting your doctor.
What are the side effects of Levetiracetam?
Possible side effects:
- Loss of appetite
- Stuffy nose
Warnings and Precautions
- This may make you dizzy. Do not use any machinery or perform activities that require your alertness.
- Limit alcoholic beverages while taking this medicine.
- Consult your doctor first before taking this if you are pregnant or breastfeeding women.
- Do not use this for the treatment of other condition.
- Use this with caution if you have decreased kidney function and severely decreased liver function.
- This is not recommended for children under one month of age.
- You should not twice the given dosage to avoid some other complications.