What condition does Gemfibrozil treat?
Gemfibrozil is used to help lower fats called triglycerides. This is usually used along with a proper diet and raises good cholesterol in the blood. Lowering triglycerides blood levels may also lessen the risk of pancreas disease. However, this drug might also lower your risk of stroke and heart attack. In addition to eating a proper diet or other lifestyle changes that may help this drug work better includes:
- Drinking less alcohol
- Losing weight if overweight
- Stopping smoking
This is a type of medicine known as a fibrate. It comes as a tablet for oral use. The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has already approved this medication.
How does Gemfibrozil work?
Gemfibrozil increases the breakdown of triglycerides already present in the body. It also decreases the production of triglycerides by the liver. This lowers the levels of triglycerides in the blood.
It also decreases the production of bad cholesterol by the liver, which causes the liver cells to take up excess bad cholesterol from the blood. It also increases levels of good cholesterol. The overall effect is lowered levels of bad fats and raised levels of ‘good fats’ in the blood.
What is the recommended dosage for Gemfibrozil?
This is to be taken by mouth with a full glass of water. It is usually taken twice a day 30 minutes before your morning or evening meals. If you also take certain other medications to lower your cholesterol, take this medicine at least 1 hour before or at least 4 to 6 hours after taking these medicines. These products can react with Gemfibrozil, preventing its full absorption.
Take this medicine regularly to get the most benefit from it. Remember to take it at the same time every day. Keep taking this medicine even if you feel in good health. Several people with high levels of triglycerides do not feel unwell. It is very essential to continue to follow the advice of your about exercise and diet. It may take up to 3 months before you get the full benefit of this medication.
What are the side effects of Gemfibrozil?
- Stomach upset or pain
- Muscle or joint pain
- Loss of interest in sex
- Unusual taste
- Numbness or tingly feeling
- Difficulty having orgasm
- Cold symptoms such as sneezing, stuffy nose, or sore throat
What are the precautions in taking Gemfibrozil?
- Avoid drinking an excessive amount of alcohol while having this drug. It might increase the risk of liver problems or certain side effects on the muscle.
- Tell your doctor if you have liver, kidney, or gallbladder disease. Your doctor may tell you not to take this medicine.
- Tell your doctor if you have a medical history, current medications, or allergies.
- Use this medication with caution in people over 70 years of age.
- If you missed a dose, take it right away if you remember. If you often missed a dose, it is important to call your doctor for instructions.
- Keep this in a dry and clean place to avoid some contaminations.