What condition does Fluoxetine Hydrochloride treat?
Fluoxetine Hydrochloride is used for the treatment of:
- Panic attacks
- Obsessive-compulsive disorder
- A severe form of premenstrual syndrome
- A certain eating disorder
This medication may help improve your sleep, appetite, mood, and energy level. This may also help restore your interest in daily living. It may lessen anxiety, fear, panic attacks, and unwanted thoughts. It also reduces the urge to perform repeated tasks and lessens premenstrual symptoms. Some of the symptoms may be increased appetite, irritability, or depression.
Fluoxetine Hydrochloride belongs to the class of medications called selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors (SSRIs). This comes as a tablet for oral administration. The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has already approved this medication.
How does Fluoxetine Hydrochloride work?
Fluoxetine Hydrochloride works by enhancing the activity of a neurotransmitter called serotonin in the brain.
Neurotransmitters act as chemical messengers between the nerve cells. Serotonin is a neurotransmitter known to be involved in regulating mood, emotions, and behavior. In depression and other mental disorders, there is a reduced quantity of serotonin released from nerve cells in the brain.
This medication works by stopping the serotonin that has been released from being reabsorbed back into the nerve cells in the brain. This helps to prolong its effects and over time this helps to relieve depression and lighten the mood. Antidepressants like this drug have also been found to be effective in relieving symptoms of anxiety, such as panic and fear.
What is the recommended dosage for Fluoxetine Hydrochloride?
Fluoxetine Hydrochloride is usually taken once a day. It is to be taken by mouth. The recommended dosage is based on your medical condition and response.
If you are taking this for premenstrual problems, you may take it just for the 2 weeks before your period. It is through the first full day of your period. Take the medicine exactly as it is prescribed. Remember to take it at the same time every day. Do not take it more often or longer than the prescription.
You should see some improvement in 1 to 2 weeks. It may take 4 to 5 weeks before you feel the full benefit.
What are the side effects of Fluoxetine Hydrochloride?
Common side effects:
- Upset stomach
- Sleep problems or insomnia
- Increased appetite
- Weight changes
- Dry mouth
- Cold symptoms (sneezing, stuffy nose, or sore throat)
What are the precautions in taking Fluoxetine Hydrochloride?
- Before taking this drug, tell your doctor if you are allergic to it. Tell also if you have any allergies, medical history, or current medications.
- This may not be recommended for pregnant or breastfeeding women. Discuss with your doctor the risks and benefits of this drug. This medication should only be used when needed.
- Do not use this past the expiration date.
- You should not share this with others who have the same symptoms as yours.
- This drug may make you feel dizzy or drowsy. Do not drive or do anything that needs your alertness.
- Keep this away from heat and moisture.