Where is Cetirizine used?
Cetirizine is used for the treatment of allergies such as seasonal and perennial allergic rhinitis. This medication can also be used to treat hives. Cetirizine belongs to the family of medicines called antihistamines. This blocks a certain natural substance that your body makes during an allergic reaction. This helps relieve allergy symptoms. The U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has already approved this medication.
How does Cetirizine work?
Cetirizine works by preventing the actions of histamine. It is a substance produced by the body when it reacts to a foreign substance such as pollen or pet fur. Histamine acts on histamine receptors that cause a chain reaction that result in allergic symptoms. In allergic reactions, it causes inflammation of the airways nose, or eyes. That it results in sneezing, watery eyes, or a runny nose. In allergic skin reactions, histamine causes skin inflammation, rashes, and itching.
This medication blocks histamine receptors and so stops the chain reaction that causes the symptoms of the allergy. It usually starts to work within half an hour to an hour after taking a dose.
How is Cetirizine taken?
This medicine is taken by mouth with a glass of water usually once a day. The dosage is based on your medical condition and your response. Each dose is taken at the same time each day for the best result. Do not take more or less of the prescription. Follow carefully the instructions given by your doctor.
What are the side effects of Cetirizine?
Common side effects:
- Numbness and tingling
- Feeling hot
- Sore throat
- Stomach pain
Tell your doctor right away if you have any serious side effects such as:
- Difficulty urinating
Warnings and Precautions
- Before taking Cetirizine, let your doctor know if you ever had an allergic reaction to this. This drug may contain an inactive ingredient that causes an allergic reaction.
- Inform your doctor if you ever had any medical history especially of difficulty urinating, liver, or kidney disease.
- This drug may make you drowsy. Alcohol can make you dizzier. Do not drive or do any activity that requires your alertness. Limit alcoholic beverages.
- Do not share this with others even if they have the same sickness as yours.
- Tell your doctor if you are pregnant or planning to become pregnant. Cetirizine should be used during pregnancy if only needed. If you become pregnant while taking this medication, call your doctor right away.
- For women who are breastfeeding, you need to talk to your doctor first for some instructions.
- This product can be taken by adults and children aged 2 years and over. This should not be given to children under 2 years of age.
- A lower dose may be needed in people with kidney problems. Dosage should also be monitored in people who suffer from epilepsy or are at risk of convulsions.
- Do not use this for the treatment of any other diseases without the consent of a doctor.
- Check with your doctor before taking any other medications. This includes vitamins or herbal supplements.
- Keep the medicine away from heat and direct sunlight. Make sure that children cannot see or reach it.