Controlling high blood sugar helps prevent:
- Kidney damage
- Loss of limbs
- Nerve problems
- Sexual function problems
Canagliflozin Tablet is indicated to control high blood sugar. This is used in people with type 2 diabetes along with a proper diet and exercise programs. Proper control of diabetes may also decrease the risk of having a stroke or heart attack.
How do Canagliflozin Tablets work?
This type of medication causes the body to pass out glucose from the blood. It is by the urine which means that calories in the glucose are excreted. This action helps support weight loss when the drug is used along with a healthy diet and regular physical activity.
Canagliflozin works by increasing the amount of glucose that gets passed out in the urine. The kidneys filter glucose out of the blood when blood passes through the kidneys. It also filters the SGLT proteins then helps reabsorb glucose back into the blood.
SGLT2 proteins are responsible for more of the glucose that is reabsorbed. By blocking the action of these proteins, less glucose is reabsorbed and so more glucose is excreted via the urine.
Why use Canagliflozin Tablets?
Invokana is the brand name of this product. Canagliflozin appears as the active ingredient of Invokana. This medicine is an inhibitor of sodium-glucose cotransporter 2 (SGLT2). The transporter is responsible for reabsorbing the majority of glucose filtered by the kidney.
Invokana is supplied as film-coated tablets for oral use. This contains 102 mg and 306 mg of Canagliflozin in each tablet. It is equivalent to 100 mg and 300 mg available strength, respectively. The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has already approved this prescription.
How to use Canagliflozin Tablets?
This medicine is to be taken by mouth usually once a day. You may take it before breakfast or at the first main meal of the day. Take it with a full glass of water and at around the same time each day. Continue to take this medicine even if you feel well. Do not stop taking it without consulting your doctor. The dosage is based on your condition and response to the drug.
What are the side-effects of Canagliflozin Tablets?
- Increased urination
- Vaginal itching
- Skin sensitivity to sunlight
- Hypersensitivity reactions like skin rash, redness, or swelling
Warnings and Precautions
- Before taking this prescription, tell your doctor about the medical history that you have. Tell also if you have any allergies or if you are taking other medications.
- You may experience blurred vision or drowsiness while having this drug. Do not use any machinery or perform any activity that needs your alertness. Do it if you already feeling well.
- Consult your doctor before breastfeeding.
- If you are pregnant, this should only be used when clearly needed. Discuss the risks and benefits with your doctor.
- Limit alcohol while taking this medicine. It may increase your risk of developing low blood sugar and a high ketone level.