Ambrisentan is used for the treatment of pulmonary arterial hypertension. This condition is high blood pressure in the lungs and is thought to be caused by an increased level of a certain natural substance. This medication also prevents the thickening of the blood vessels.
Ambrisentan is an endothelin receptor antagonist. This treatment blocks the effects of endothelin-1. In that way, this helps:
- Improve your ability to exercise
- Lessen the blood pressure in the lungs
- Slow the worsening of symptoms
This medication is approved by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA).
How does Ambrisentan work?
Ambrisentan tablets work by blocking endothelin. It is an element made by the body. Endothelin reasons the blood vessels to constrict or narrow. It also causes unusual development of the muscle in the walls of the blood vessels in the lungs. This reduction increases the force necessary to push the blood through the lungs to get oxygen.
How to use Ambrisentan Tablets (Letairis)?
This medication is to be taken usually taken once a day, by mouth. Each dose may be taken with or without a meal. Do not break the tablets. Swallow it as a whole with a glass of water. Use this regularly and as directed by your doctor. The recommended dosage for this treatment will depend on your:
- Medical condition
- Response to the treatment
- And other current medications you are taking
Do not suddenly stop taking this medication without consent from your doctor. Doing so might increase the risk of developing other complications or might worsen your current condition. Remember to take the medicine at the same time each day. Your doctor may occasionally change your dose. Use the medicine exactly as directed. If your condition does not improve or if it gets worse, inform your doctor right away.
What are the possible side effects of Ambrisentan?
- Stuffy and runny nose
- Stomach or abdominal pain
- Sore throat
- Extreme tiredness
If these side effects continue or worsen, call your doctor right away.
What are the precautions in taking Ambrisentan?
- You should prevent getting pregnant while you are taking this medication. It may cause harm to an unborn baby. Make sure you have talked about it with your doctor which types of contraception are appropriate for you and your partner.
- If you are due to have some other medical treatment or certain operation, you must tell the person carrying out the treatment that you are taking this drug.
- This medicine may be taken long-term lessens fertility in men by lowering the sperm count. Talk about this with your doctor if you have any concerns about it.
- Let your doctor know if you have any medical history or allergies.
- If you buy any medications over-the-counter, check always with a pharmacist that they are proper for you to take with this drug.
- Do not stop using this medication without consulting.
- Do not share this with others who have the same symptoms as yours.
- Keep this away from the direct sunlight/heat and the reach of children/pets.