Where is Acetylcysteine Effervescent used?
Acetylcysteine Effervescent is a prescription used to treat acetaminophen overdose. This helps prevent damage to your liver that is caused by taking large quantities of acetaminophen. This is an N-acetyl derivative of the naturally occurring amino acid (cysteine).
Acetylcysteine Effervescent is an acetaminophen antidote that will help your body preserve a substance that helps detoxify the liver. This medicine is approved by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA).
How does Acetylcysteine Effervescent work?
Acetylcysteine Effervescent has been shown to reduce the extent of liver injury following acetaminophen overdose. Acetaminophen doses of greater than have been associated with hepatotoxicity or 150mg/kg. This medicine defends the liver by maintaining or restoring glutathione levels. This can be also an alternate substrate for conjugation with detoxification. It is of the reactive metabolite of acetaminophen.
How is Acetylcysteine Effervescent taken?
The recommended dosage of this treatment depends on your condition, age, and weight. Follow your doctor’s dosing instructions very carefully. This is usually taken every 4 hours for the prescribed number of doses. Dissolve the given dosage in water and take it by mouth. Once it is already dissolved, drink the solution right away. Inform your doctor if vomit within an hour after taking the medicine. Take it at the same time each day.
If you vomit within an hour after taking a dose of this medication, call your doctor. You may also need to take another dose. Do not mix this drug with another inhaled medication unless it is recommended by your pharmacist or doctor. Also, you may notice a slight odor when you first breathe in this medicine. The door will quickly go away. When you are using a face mask to breathe in the medicine, they might be stickiness on your face after using the medicine. Wash your face with water to remove the stickiness.
What are the possible side effects of Acetylcysteine Effervescent?
- Trouble breathing
- Stomach pain
- Severe dizziness
- Severe abdominal or stomach pain
- Serious allergic reactions (swelling, itching, or rash)
What are the precautions in taking Acetylcysteine Effervescent?
- Before taking a dose of this medication, tell your doctor if you have ever had any medical history especially of asthma or stomach ulcer.
- Tell also your doctor if you have any allergies or current medications. This drug may contain ingredients that may cause allergic reactions.
- Even though side effects occur rarely, some people might have very bad side effects when taking this medicine. Let your doctor know or get medical emergency assistance if you have the following signs or symptoms related to a very bad side effect.
- This drug has sodium. Talk to your doctor first if you are on a salt-restricted diet.
- Consult your doctor if you are pregnant, planning to get pregnant, or breastfeeding women. This medication should only be used when needed. Discuss with your doctor the risks and benefits.
- Do not share this with others.
- If you missed a dose, call your doctor or pharmacist. For instructions. Do not twice the dose to catch up if you miss it.
- Store at room temperature and away from moisture.
- Keep your medications away from the reach of children or pets.