Where is Acamprosate Calcium used?
Acamprosate Calcium is used in people who are alcohol-dependent. This medicine is used as part of a broad alcohol dependence treatment program along with counseling. This will help people to keep from drinking alcohol once they have stopped.
Acamprosate Calcium belongs to the class of drugs known as alcohol abstinence aids. It restores the balance of chemicals in the brain that influences alcohol dependence. This medication is approved by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA).
How does Acamprosate Calcium work?
- Acamprosate Calcium affects the substances in the brain that may be unstable to those who are dependent on alcohol.
- This helps restore the chemical stability in the brain. It is used with behavior adjustment and counseling to help the person who has to choose to quit drinking alcohol.
- This medication will not be helpful if you have not stopped drinking or undergone detoxification.
- This will be useless if you are also addicted to substances other than alcohol.
How is Acamprosate Calcium taken?
Start taking Acamprosate Calcium as soon as you’ve decided to stop drinking alcohol. Each dose of this medicine may be taken with or without food. Swallow each drug as a whole and do not chew or break it. Drink plenty of fluids while having this treatment. Follow carefully the recommended dosage given by your doctor. Do not take in larger or smaller amounts without consulting. Inform your doctor about any drinks you take in, no matter what the quantity is. Do not double the dose of this medication. If you missed a dose, call your doctor for instructions.
The given dosage depends on your condition, the medications you are taking, and your first response to the treatment. Your doctor may start you on a low dose and gradually increase it. Do not suddenly stop taking this medication without consulting your doctor.
What are the possible side effects of Acamprosate Calcium?
- Mood changes
- Loss of appetite
- Dry mouth
- Sweating or itching
What are the precautions in taking Acamprosate Calcium?
- Before taking this medication tell to your doctor if you are allergic to any substance of this or if you ever had an allergic reaction to this drug.
- This may make you feel drowsy or dizzy. Do not do anything that needs your alertness until you know this drug affects you.
- Inform your doctor if are taking other medications including vitamins or herbal supplements.
- This medicine will only be used when necessary for pregnant women as well as a breastfeeding women. You may not be able to breastfeed if you are taking a dose of this medicine. Discuss with your doctor the risks and benefits.
- Do not use this medication for the treatment of other conditions. This should only be taken when prescribed by a doctor.
- Do take a dose of this drug if it’s already past the expiration date.
- Call for medical assistance right away if you have any serious side effects such as fainting, abdominal pain that does not go away, fast or pounding heartbeat.