Trazodone Hydrochloride is a prescription used for the treatment of depression accompanied by anxiety. This medication may help improve your appetite, mood, and energy. This may as well lessen anxiety and insomnia that is related to depression.
This drug is usually only prescribed by specialists when other antidepressants haven’t worked. This has a sedative effect that can make it useful for treating depression in people who also suffer from anxiety.
Depression is a mood disorder that is characterized by a feeling of sadness, persistently low mood, and loss of interest. It may also affect how you think, feel, and behave. That it can lead to a variety of physical and emotional problems. You might have trouble doing usual day-to-day activities and sometimes you may feel as if life is not worth living. Depression is not a weakness and you can’t simply ‘snap out’ of it. This may require long-term treatment. Most people with this illness feel better with medication.
Anxiety is a common and frequently a healthy emotion. However, when a person regularly feels disproportionate levels of anxiety, it might become a medical disorder. This disorder forms a category of mental health diagnoses that lead to excessive:
This disorder may alter how a person processes emotions and behave also causing psychical symptoms. Mild anxiety might be vague and unsettling, while severe anxiety may seriously affect day-to-day living.
Trazodone Hydrochloride is a type of drug called an antidepressant. This may increase serotonin activity in your brain. It is a chemical in your brain that can help stabilize your mood. This product is supplied as tablets for oral use. Each tablet contains Trazodone Hydrochloride as an active ingredient. This is available in the dosage forms of 150 mg and 300 mg. The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has already approved this medication.
How does Trazodone Hydrochloride work?
Trazodone Hydrochloride enhances the activity of the neurotransmitters noradrenaline and serotonin in the brain. Neurotransmitters are a natural body chemical that acts as chemical messengers between the nerve cells. Noradrenaline and serotonin are neurotransmitters known to be involved in regulating moods, emotions, and behavior. In anxiety and depression, less noradrenaline and serotonin than normal is released from nerve cells in the brain.
This drug stops the serotonin that has been released from being reabsorbed back into the nerve cells in the brain. It may also mimic the mood-lightening effect of released serotonin. A very small degree of noradrenaline release from nerve cells in the brain also enhances. This helps enhance and prolong the effect of any released noradrenaline and serotonin. Over time, this helps to lighten the mood and relieve depression and anxiety.
Trazodone Hydrochloride won’t change your personality or make you feel instantly happy and relaxed. It works overtime to correct the chemical changes in your brain that have made you depressed or anxious. This will also help you get back the feeling like your old self.
How to use Trazodone Hydrochloride?
The recommended dosage will depend on your medical condition, age, and response. To lessen the risk of side effects, your doctor may direct you to start at a low dose and gradually increase it. You must take it exactly as it is prescribed. Do not take more or less than it is given by your doctor.
Trazodone Hydrochloride is to be taken by mouth usually once or twice a day. It is after a meal or snack or as directed by your doctor. Take it at bedtime if drowsiness is a problem and you are taking 1 dose daily. If you are taking 2 doses each day, it may help to take 1 of the doses at bedtime. Swallow the tablet as a whole with a full glass of water. Do not crush or break it. Follow very carefully the directions of your doctor. It is important to continue taking this medication as prescribed even if you feel well. To help you remember, take it at the same time each day.
What are the side effects of Trazodone Hydrochloride?
Common side effects:
- Numbness, burning, or tingling sensations
- Weakness or fatigue
- Muscle ache
- Loss of appetite
- Blurred vision
- Dry mouth or eyes
- Changes in sexual interest or ability
If you have any of these serious side effects, stop taking the drug and call your doctor right away:
- A severe rash or hives
- Suicidal thoughts
- Chest pain
- Difficulty breathing
- Worsening depression
- Panic attack
- Irregular heartbeat
- Unusual bruising or bleeding
- Swelling of the lips, face, or tongue
These are some symptoms of an allergic reaction:
- Hives or itching
- Trouble or difficulty breathing
- Swelling of your face, throat, mouth, or tongue
Warnings and Precautions
- Before taking this medication, tell your doctor if you are allergic to it. This drug may contain an inactive ingredient that causes an allergic reaction.
- If there are any signs of an allergic reaction that occur, call your doctor right away and stop taking this drug.
- This should need a lower dose or extra monitoring for those with a history psychotic illness or with kidney or liver disease.
- This is not prescribed for use in children and adolescents less than 18 years of age.
- This drug is also not recommended for use in people who have recently had a heart attack.
- If you get pregnant and decide to stop taking Trazodone Hydrochloride, don’t do this suddenly. Your doctor will give you instructions on how to stop treatment slowly and to avoid getting withdrawal symptoms.
- This is not prescribed for breastfeeding women. Consult your doctor first.
- If you drink alcohol, talk to your doctor about whether alcohol use is safe for you while you take this drug.
- Consult your doctor first if you are taking sleeping tablets.
- Speak to your doctor if your blood sugar levels are causing you concern.
- Keep this away from the reach of children.
- Store this medication at room temperature far from heat, moisture, or light.