Where is Topotecan used?
Topotecan is used for the treatment of cervical cancer, small cell lung cancer, and cancer of the ovaries. This is a chemotherapy medication that is approved by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA). Cancers form when some cells within the body increase irrepressibly and unusually. These cells spread and destroy nearby tissues. Topotecan helps stops the cancer cells from multiplying.
How does Topotecan work?
Cancer cells go through a continuous process of change like normal healthy cells and each cell divides into two daughter cells. These cells grow rest and then divide again. Chemotherapy medicines are powerful chemicals intended to interrupt this cycle and stop cells from multiplying and growing. Before a cell divides to make two identical cells, it has to make a copy of its genetic material called DNA. An enzyme called topoisomerase-I helps this process.
Topotecan is a type of chemotherapy medicine known as a topoisomerase I inhibitor that works by blocking the action of topoisomerase I. This prevents the cells from making copies of their DNA and so stops them from dividing and increasing in numbers. This, in turn, stops the growth of abnormal tissue.
How is Topotecan taken?
This is usually given by a drip into a vein over 30 minutes. The dosage is based on your medical condition, tests, body size, and response to the treatment.
You may be shown how to use injections at home. If you do not fully understand how to give the injection, do not self-inject this medicine. Properly dispose of used needles and syringes. Each time you give the injection use a different place on your body. Your doctor will let you know the best places on your body to inject the medication. You should not inject in the same place 2 times in a row. You should also not inject this medicine into skin or muscle that is sore, red, injured, or infected.
Do not take in larger or smaller amounts or for longer than the prescription. Remember to take it at the same time and in the same way each day. Take it regularly for the best benefit of this product. Do not suddenly stop this treatment without the consent of your doctor. Your doctor may give you a lower dose and slowly increase it.
What are the possible side effects of Topotecan?
- Loss of appetite
- Temporary hair loss
- Tired feeling
What are the precautions in using Topotecan?
- If you ever had an allergic reaction to this medication, let your doctor know. Tell also if you have any allergies. This drug may contain an inactive ingredient that causes an allergic reaction.
- Topotecan may cause sleepiness and blurred vision. That it may reduce your ability to operate machinery or drive safely. Do not operate machinery or drive until you know how this medicine affects you and you are sure it won’t affect your performance.
- If you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or breastfeeding women consult your doctor first before using this medication.
- This should be used with caution in people with decreased kidney or liver function, existing lung disease, or who have previously had radiotherapy treatment to their lungs.
- This is not recommended for use in people with severely decreased production of blood cells by the bone marrow, severely decreased kidney function, or severely decreased liver function.
- Topotecan must be far from the reach of children. Keep this in a safe place.