Thiothixene is a psychiatric medication used to treat certain mental/mood disorder called schizophrenia. It is a mental illness that causes disturbed or unusual thinking, strong or inappropriate emotions, and loss of interest in life. This medication helps you think more clearly and feel less nervous. Thiothixene may also reduce aggression and the desire to hurt yourself or others.
How does Thiothixene work?
Thiothixene works by decreasing abnormal excitement in the brain. It acts as an antagonist or blocking agent on different postsynaptic receptors. This drug restores the balance of certain natural substance (dopamine) in the brain. Dopamine functions as a neurotransmitter which is a chemical released by neurons. It is to send signals to other nerve cells. The brain includes several distinct dopamine pathways.
Why use Thiothixene?
Thiothixene is in a group of medications called conventional antipsychotics. This helps lessen hallucinations and helps you to take part in your everyday life. Thiothixene comes as a capsule for oral use. Each capsule contains Thiothixene as an active ingredient. This is available in the strengths of 1 mg, 2 mg, 5 mg, and 10 mg. The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has already approved this medication.
How to use Thiothixene?
The recommended dosage of Thiothixene is based on your medical condition and response to it. Follow all the directions that your doctor has given you. Do not take this in larger or smaller amounts or for longer than recommended.
This medication is to be taken by mouth. Swallow the capsule as a whole with a full glass of water. You may take each dose with or without a meal. Thiothixene is usually taken 1 to 3 times a day or as directed by your doctor. Remember to take this prescription at the same time each day.
What are the side effects of Thiothixene?
- Sleep problems or insomnia
- Feeling restless or agitated
- Changes in your menstrual period
- Breast swelling
- Changes in weight or appetite
- Increased thirst
- Dry mouth
Warnings and Precautions
- While having this treatment, avoid drinking alcohol. Avoid as well from becoming overheated or dehydrated during exercise and in hot weather.
- Do not suddenly stop taking this medication without consulting your doctor.
- Before using, tell your doctor if you have a certain eye condition, liver disease, or heart problems.
- If you missed a dose, take it as soon as you remember. Skip the missed dose if it is almost time for your next scheduled dose. Do not twice the dose to make u the missed dose.
- Keep this drug at room temperature far from heat and moisture.