Siklos (Hydroxyurea) is used in people with sickle cell anemia. It is used to lessen the number of painful crises. It also reduces the need for blood transfusions. This medication may also be used to treat several types of cancer such as:
- Squamous cell carcinomas
- Chronic myelogenous leukemia
Sickle cell anemia is a disorder of the blood. It is caused by inherited abnormal hemoglobin. The abnormal hemoglobin caused distorted red blood cells.
How does Siklos (Hydroxyurea) work?
Siklos (Hydroxyurea) seems to inhibit the synthesis of genetic material (DNA) inside cells. As a result, it stops the cells from increasing and growing. In which it stops the growth of abnormal tissue. This drug is used to stop the development of abnormal cells in leukemia and cervical cancer.
Cancers form when some cells within the body increase uncontrollably and abnormally. Leukemias are cancers that involve the blood cells multiplying abnormally.
Why use Siklos (Hydroxyurea)?
Siklos (Hydroxyurea) is antimetabolite that is available for use. It contains Hydroxyurea as an active ingredient. This product comes as a tablet. Each film-coated tablet is available in the strengths of 100 mg and 1000 mg. The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has already approved this medication.
How to use Siklos (Hydroxyurea)?
The recommended dosage is based on your medical condition, weight, and response. It is important to take each dose exactly as it is prescribed.
This prescription is to be taken by mouth with a full glass of water. It is usually taken once a day or as directed by your doctor. Swallow the drug as a whole. Do not break or chew it. After taking the medicine, wash your hands properly. Remember to take it in the same way and at the same time every day.
What are the side-effects of Siklos (Hydroxyurea)?
- Hair loss
- Skin rashes
- Fever or chills
- Feeling weak
- Loss of appetite
- Stomach or abdominal pain
Warnings and Precautions
- Consult your doctor first if you are pregnant or breastfeeding women.
- Tell your doctor if you are allergic to it. This drug may have an inactive ingredient that may cause an allergic reaction.
- Let your doctor know if you have any medical history or current medications.
- Call for medical help right away if there are any signs of an allergic reaction.
- Keep this at a dry and clean place away from heat and moisture.