Nitrofurantoin Monohydrate/Macrocrystals is an antibacterial drug used to treat urinary tract infections. This type of condition is a bacterial infection of the bladder. This infection is much more common in women than in men. Nitrofurantoin Monohydrate/Macrocrystals helps stop the growth and development of the bacteria.
How do Nitrofurantoin Monohydrate/Macrocrystals work?
Nitrofurantoin Monohydrate/Macrocrystals is killing the bacteria by entering their cells and damaging their genetic material or called DNA. This leaves the bacteria unable to repair themselves or to multiply and so clears up the infection.
Why use Nitrofurantoin Monohydrate/Macrocrystals?
Nitrofurantoin Monohydrate/Macrocrystals is a prescription approved by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA). This comes as a capsule for oral use. Each capsule has an equivalent of 100 mg of Nitrofurantoin Monohydrate in the form of 25 mg and 75 mg capsule. This medication is in the class of antimicrobials or antibiotics. Nitrofurantoin Monohydrate/Macrocrystals helps prevent urinary tract infection in people having a surgical procedure on the bladder. This drug works quickly to treat the condition.
How to use Nitrofurantoin Monohydrate/Macrocrystals?
The recommended dosage is based on your medical condition, age, and response. Do not take more or less than the prescription. It is very important that you take this medication exactly as it is given by your doctor.
This medication is usually taken twice a day every 12 hours. The medicine is to be swallowed as a whole with a full glass of water. Take each dose with food or as directed by your doctor. Don’t forget to take it at the same each day. Let your doctor know if your condition does not improve or if it gets worse.
What are the side effects of Nitrofurantoin Monohydrate/Macrocrystals?
- Upset stomach
- Vaginal itching or discharge
- Rust-colored or brownish urine
- Watery or bloody diarrhea
- Easy bruising
- Numbness or tingling in the hands or feet
If these side effects persist or get worse, call your doctor right away.
Warnings and Precautions
- Before taking this drug, tell your doctor if you are allergic to it. Tell as well if you have any allergies.
- Do not share this or any of your medicines with others even if they have the same symptoms as yours.
- If you are pregnant or breastfeeding women, consult your doctor first.
- This may not be recommended if you have kidney or liver disease.
- Do not double the prescribed dosage.
- Keep this at a dry and clean place away from heat and moisture.