Marinol (Dronabinol) is indicated for the treatment of nausea and vomiting caused by cancer chemotherapy. This is usually used when other drugs to control nausea and vomiting have not been successful. This may also be used to treat loss of appetite and weight loss in patients with HIV infection.
How does Marinol (Dronabinol) work?
Marinol (Dronabinol) works by affecting the area of the brain that controls nausea, vomiting, and appetite. When taking this drug, you will also experience the effects of THC on mood, memory, and the senses as you would with medical marijuana. But in a capsule form, there is no need for it to be smoked.
This medication takes 30 minutes to 2 hours to take effect. The mood, mental and physical effects last for 4 to 6 hours, while appetite stimulation can last for 24 hours.
Why use Marinol (Dronabinol)?
Marinol (Dronabinol) is also called THC. It is a man-made form of the active natural substance in marijuana. This product contains Dronabinol as an active ingredient. It is light yellow resinous oil that is sticky at room temperature and hardens upon refrigeration. This is also insoluble in water and is formulated in sesame oil. The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has approved this medication already.
How to use Marinol (Dronabinol)?
The recommended dosage for this is based on your condition and response.
This is usually taken 4-6 times daily if you are taking it to control nausea and vomiting. If you are taking it for appetite loss, take it twice a day probably before lunch and before dinner. Make sure to take it with a full glass of water. Take it at the same time each day. Do not change the prescribed dosage. Follow the prescription very carefully.
What are the side-effects of Marinol (Dronabinol)?
- Mood changes
- Trouble concentrating
- Warmth or tingly feeling
- Dry mouth
- Red eyes
- Stomach or abdominal pain
- Sleep problems (insomnia)
- Lack of coordination
Warnings and Precautions
- Before taking this drug, make that you inform your doctor if you have any medical history or current medications. Tell also to your doctor if you are allergic to this drug or if you have any allergies.
- You should not share this or any of your medicines to others even if they have the same symptoms as yours.
- If you are pregnant or breastfeeding women, consult your doctor first.
- Keep this away from the reach of children.