Currently, there is no proved vaccine for coronavirus disease. However, this infection is the same as other viruses you might get during the flu and cold season. Most people can recover at home without the need to be at the hospital. Current treatments are known to manage the symptoms. Common symptoms of coronavirus disease are;
- Upset stomach
- Shortness of breath
TREATMENTS FOR SYMPTOMS
It is not recommended to take NSAIDs to manage pain or fever instead you take Acetaminophen. Some studies have shown that NSAIDs can extend or worsen the symptoms of coronavirus disease.
2. Shortness of Breath and Cough
Over-the-counter medicines that are used for upper respiratory infections could help alleviate symptoms. Contact your doctor or healthcare team if you plan to take more than one medication to manage your symptoms. Other treatments that could help you include;
- Using chest rub, nasal rinse, or humidifier
- Taking a hot shower
- Practicing slow and deep breathing in through the nose and out through the mouth
- Propping yourself up with pillows
MAINTAIN HEALTHY HABITS
Make sure to stay hydrated by drinking enough fluids. You must drink at least 8 glasses of fluid each day especially when you have flu or cold. If you have an upset stomach, you can continuously sip even small amounts of fluids. Get plenty of rest as well and incorporate vegetables and fresh fruits into your diet. Some fruits and vegetables could be;
- Nuts and spinach
- Citrus fruits
Also, as you’re able to incorporate exercise as well. Eliminate stressors as best as you can. Keep connected to your friends and family even via phone calls or video calls.
CONSULT WITH YOUR PROVIDER
If you are taking inhaled or oral steroids, talk with your doctor about whether you must continue with it. Steroids can increase the severity of COVID-19 symptoms. If you are using a nebulizer, inform as well your doctor. It can create very fine droplets that go into the lung and can come back out that contains particles of the virus. Call for emergency medical help if you experience any severe symptoms of coronavirus disease in case.
- Stay At Home: Avoid public places such as school or workplace. If you must go out, do not use any public transportation.
- Monitor Your Symptoms: Check your symptoms carefully. If your symptoms get worse, call for the medical team or your local health team right away.
- Cough/Sneeze Hygiene: Use the inside of your elbow or use a tissue if you are going to cough or sneeze.
- Hand Hygiene: Wash your hands thoroughly for at least 20 seconds.
- Physical Distancing: Always maintain at least 2 meters from other people. If possible, stay in one room and self-isolate.
- Clean Surfaces: You must disinfect and clean surfaces or objects that are commonly touched.
- Personal Items: Avoid sharing personal items with other family members especially bedding, towels, or utensils.
- Get rest And Drink Fluids: If you are ill, it is very important to get rest and drink lots of fluids. These acts will help you recover faster.