Gelfoam Dental Sponge is a surgical sponges prepared from a specially treated and purified gelatin solution. These sponges are small and sterile. Gelfoam is pliable. It is capable of holding and absorbing within its meshes may time. This is used as a hemostatic device.
Why use Gelfoam Dental Sponge?
Gelfoam Dental Sponge is absorbable. In dental and oral surgery, this sponge is a help in providing hemostasis. It may be used dry or moistened. This has already been approved by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA).
How does Gelfoam Dental Sponge work?
Gelfoam Dental Sponge has hemostatic properties. When implanted in tissues, the sponge is completely absorbed for about 4 to 6 weeks. It happens when you did not induce excessive scar tissue. When it is applied to bleeding areas of rectal, nasal, or vaginal mucosa, it will completely liquefy for only 2 to 5 days. . Its effects appear to be more physical than the result of altering the blood clotting mechanism. The absorption will depend on the amount of use. It will also depend on the amount of saturation with blood or other fluids and the position of usage.
How to use Gelfoam Dental Sponge?
Use only the prescribed amount of Gelfoam. Cut the appropriate size and place it on the affected area. If your doctor gave you an instruction, follow it promptly.
What are the side-effects of Gelfoam Dental Sponge?
The following are the side-effects that may occur while you are using Gelfoam Dental Sponge:
- Foreign body reactions
- Encapsulation of fluid
- Blood clots
- Abscess formation
If these side effects continue or worsen, contact your doctor immediately.
Warnings and Precautions
Here are the things that you need to be precautious with while using Gelfoam Dental Sponge:
- This should be stored at right room temperature.
- This is not intended as a substitute for meticulous surgical technique.
- The use of this medication is not recommended if you have infections.
- Do not share this with others who have the same condition as yours. This product is for single use only.
- Do not use if the package is already damaged.
- If an allergic reaction happens, stop using this treatment.
- Do not re-sterilize the Absorbable Gelatin Compressed Sponge (Gelfoam).
- Do not use without consulting an instruction first.
- Keep this and your other medications away from the reach of children.
- This should not be used in other conditions without the doctor’s prescription.