Doxycycline Hyclate is indicated for the treatment of many different bacterial infections such as:
- Urinary tract infections
- Intestinal infections
- Eye infections
- Respiratory infections
- Periodontitis or Gum disease
This medication may also be used for the treatment of malaria. This is a serious illness that is caused by parasites. Those are transferred to people through the bites of infected mosquitoes.
How does Doxycycline Hyclate work?
Doxycycline Hyclate acts on protein synthesis. This passes directly through the lipid bilayer of the bacterial cell wall. An energy-dependent active transport also pumps the drug through the inner cytoplasmic membrane. Once inside the cell, this medicine inhibits protein synthesis by binding ribosomes and prevents the addition of amino acids to the growing peptide chain. Doxycycline Hyclate will impair protein synthesis in some cells at very high concentrations. These cells lack the active transport system found in bacteria.
Why use Doxycycline Hyclate?
Doxycycline Hyclate is clinically effective for the treatment of a variety of infections. This is known as a tetracycline antibiotic that helps stop the growth of bacteria. Doxycycline Hyclate also blocks a bacterial protein from being made. This medicine is approved by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA). This comes as a 100 mg tablet for oral use.
How to use Doxycycline Hyclate?
Doxycycline Hyclate is usually taken once or twice daily. This is best taken on an empty stomach at least an hour before or 2 hours after a meal. Swallow the medicine as a whole by mouth with a full glass of water. After taking a dose, do not lie down for at least 10 minutes.
If you are using this for the treatment of malaria, this is usually taken once a day. Take the first dose of this drug 1-2 days before travel or as directed by your doctor. The dosage of this medication is based on your condition and response.
What are the side effects of Doxycycline Hyclate?
- Weight loss
- Sun sensitivity
- Loss of appetite
- Upset stomach
- Darkened skin color
Warnings and Precautions
- This medicine can cause a severe allergic reaction. Symptoms may include swelling of your tongue or throat. Tell your doctor if you have any allergies before using this medication.
- Some foods that have calcium may block the amount of this medicine that is absorbed by your body.
- Consult your doctor first if you are pregnant or planning t become pregnant.
- This should not be used in children who are 8 years old or younger.
- Do not use Penicillin and Isotretinoin together with this medication. Doing so can cause dangerous effects in your body.