Dexlansoprazole is used for the treatment of a certain stomach and esophagus problems like acid reflux. This relieves symptoms such as difficulty swallowing, heartburn, and persistent cough. Dexlansoprazole also helps:
- Heal acid damage to stomach and esophagus
- Prevent cancer of the esophagus
- Prevent ulcers
How does Dexlansoprazole work?
Dexlansoprazole works by lessening the amount of acid in your stomach. This keeps the acid from entering your esophagus. Dexlansoprazole also helps relieve symptoms such as burning feeling in your chest or throat, a sour taste in your mouth, or burping.
Why use Dexlansoprazole?
Dexlansoprazole belongs to the class of medications called proton pump inhibitors (PPIs). This has the brand name of Kapidex that comes as delayed-release capsules. This is available in two dosage strengths: 30 mg and 60 mg for oral use. Kapidex contains an active ingredient of Dexlansoprazole. It is a white to nearly white crystalline powder. The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has already approved this medication.
How to use Dexlansoprazole?
Dexlansoprazole is to be taken by mouth with a full glass of water. Usually, it is taken once a day as directed by your doctor. You may take it with or without food. If your symptoms usually occur after a meal, your doctor may direct you to take it before meals.
The dosage is based on your medical condition and response to it. It is important that you take it exactly as it is prescribed. Do not take more or often than the prescription. Don’t forget to take it at the same time every day. Swallow the medication whole. Do not break or chew it. For the best benefit, take it regularly. Let your doctor know if your condition persists or get worse.
What are the side effects of Dexlansoprazole?
- Stomach pain
- Stuffy nose
- Other cold symptoms
Warnings and Precautions
- Before taking Dexlansoprazole, tell your doctor if you are allergic to it. Tell as well if you have any allergies.
- Let your doctor know if you have any medical history or current treatments.
- Do not suddenly stop taking this medication without consulting your doctor. It might make your condition even worse.
- If you are pregnant or breastfeeding women, consult your doctor first.
- This is not approved for use by anyone younger than 12 years old.
- You should not double the given dosage.
- Keep this at a dry and clean place away from heat and moisture.