Azasan (Azathioprine) is used for the prevention of organ rejection. It is in people who have received a kidney transplant. This is usually taken along with other medications to allow your new kidney to function normally. This may also be used to treat rheumatoid arthritis. In this condition, the body’s defense system or immune system attacks healthy joints.
How does Azasan (Azathioprine) work?
Azasan (Azathioprine) works by weakening the immune system. It is to help your body accept the new kidney as if it were your own. It is in the case of an organ transplant or to prevent further damage to your joints. It happens to be in the case of rheumatoid arthritis.
Why use Azasan (Azathioprine)?
Azasan (Azathioprine) is an immunosuppressive antimetabolite. This is a drug used to suppress the immune system. This medication contains Azathioprine and is a precursor of a drug. It is converted in the body to its active form called mercaptopurine (Purinethol). The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has approved this medication.
How to use Azasan (Azathioprine)?
The recommended dosage for this medication will depend on your condition and response. This is usually taken once or twice a day. This should be taken by mouth with food to reduce stomach upset. Use this regularly to get the most benefit from it. Follow your doctor’s prescription promptly.
What are the side-effects of Azasan (Azathioprine)?
Here are some possible side effects that may occur while having this treatment:
- Weight loss
- Night sweats
- Feeling full after eating only a small amount
- Pain in your upper stomach
- Pale skin
- Feeling light-headed or short of breath
- Severe nausea
- Loss of appetite
- Hair loss
- Skin rash
- Pain or burning with urination
- Mild upset stomach
If these persist or get worse, call for medical help right away.
Warnings and Precautions
- Before using this, consult your doctor first if you are pregnant or breastfeeding women.
- Inform your doctor if you have any allergies, medical history or current medications.
- Do not share this or any of your medications with others who have the same condition as yours.
- To avoid complications, do not twice the given dosage.
- Keep this away from the heat or direct sunlight.
- Keep this far from the reach of children or pets.