This prescription is used for the treatment of;
- Parkinson’s disease
- Pain associated with shingles called herpes zoster
The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has already approved this medication. Amantadine Hydrochloride has pharmacological actions as both an anti-Parkinson’s an antiviral drug. Each table of Amantadine Hydrochloride is intended for oral use which has the dosage form of 100 mg. this drug restores the balance of certain natural substances in the brain.
Parkinson’s disease affects the movement and is a progressive nervous system disorder. The symptoms begin slowly and sometimes it starts with a barely noticeable tremor in just one hand. Tremors are common but the disorder also commonly causes stiffness or slowing of movement. Most people with Parkinson’s disease are diagnosed when they are 60 years old or older, but early-onset Parkinson’s disease also occurs. Here are some early signs of Parkinson’s disease;
- Movement – there may be a tremor in the hands.
- Gait – the person’s posture may change so that they lean forward slightly as if they were hurrying. They may also develop a shuffling gait.
- Coordination – a reduced sense of coordination and balance can cause people to drop items they are holding. They may be more likely to fall.
- Facial expression – this can become fixed, due to changes in the nerves that control facial muscles.
- Handwriting – this may become more cramped and smaller.
- Voice – there may be a tremor in the voice, or the person may speak more softly than before.
- Sleep problems – these are a feature of Parkinson’s, and they may be an early sign. Restless legs may contribute to this.
- Sense of smell – a loss of sense of smell can be an early sign.
Other common symptoms may include:
- Difficulty chewing and swallowing
- Mood changes
- Problems with urination
- Sleep problems
- Skin problems
Shingles cause a painful rash. Although it can occur anywhere on your body, it most often appears as a single stripe of blisters that wraps around either the left or the right side of your torso. This illness has the same virus that causes chickenpox. After you’ve had chickenpox, the virus lies inactive in nerve tissue near your spinal cord and brain. The virus may reactivate as shingles after years later. Though it is not a severe illness, shingles can be very painful.
How does Amantadine Hydrochloride work?
Amantadine Hydrochloride works in different actions that allow it to control some of the symptoms of the disease.
First, it increases the activity of a neurotransmitter called dopamine in the brain. Neurotransmitters are natural body chemicals that are involved in transmitting messages between nerve cells. Dopamine is known to be reduced or absent in the brains of people with Parkinson’s disease. This is thought to be the main cause of the disease’s symptoms. By increasing the release of dopamine in the brain, Amantadine Hydrochloride replaces some of the lost dopamine. Therefore, it reduces some of the symptoms of the disease.
Amantadine Hydrochloride also has a mild anticholinergic effect. This means it prevents the activity of a neurotransmitter called acetylcholine. There is usually a balance between the activity of dopamine and the activity of acetylcholine in the brain. On the other hand, in Parkinson’s disease, the deficit of dopamine causes overactivity of acetylcholine. By decreasing the activity of the acetylcholine, this medication helps restore the balance of acetylcholine and dopamine in the brain. This as well helps reduce some of the symptoms.
This medication also affects a third neurotransmitter called glutamate. Glutamate is a neurotransmitter that acts as a natural ‘nerve-exciting’ agent. Overactivity of this neurotransmitter is also thought to play a role in causing the symptoms of Parkinson’s disease. Amantadine Hydrochloride blocks the receptors in the brain that glutamate usually acts on.
Amantadine Hydrochloride has a mild effect against some of the symptoms of Parkinson’s disease. But, after some time, several people find that the same dose becomes less effective and therefore its use may be limited. At times, the effectiveness can be restored if the medicine is stopped for a while and then restarted. You should tell your doctor if you notice this medication has become less effective. Amantadine Hydrochloride is usually used in combination with other medicines for the treatment of Parkinson’s disease.
How to use Amantadine Hydrochloride?
Take this medication by mouth with or without food as directed by your doctor. Amantadine Hydrochloride is usually taken once a day. Swallow the tablet as a whole. Do not break or crush it. The dosage is based on your medical condition and response to treatment. Take it at the same time each day to help you remember. Use this medication regularly to get the most benefit from it.
Do not stop taking this medication without consulting your doctor. if this drug is suddenly stopped or if your dose is quickly decreased Your condition may get worse. Your doctor may gradually reduce your dose to lessen the chance of symptoms Tell your doctor right away if any new or worsening symptoms.
What are the side effects of Amantadine Hydrochloride?
Common side effects:
- Stomach upset
- Loss of appetite
- Strange dreams
- Sleep problems or insomnia
- Dry mouth and nose
- Nervous feeling
- Loss of balance or coordination
- Blurred vision
If these side effects occur, call your doctor right away:
- Swelling of the ankles or feet
- Purplish-red blotchy spots on the skin
- Vision changes
- Difficulty urinating
Warnings and Precautions
- Use Amantadine Hydrochloride with caution in elderly people and people with underlying psychiatric disorders. People with kidney or liver disorders and with a history of disease involving the heart and blood vessels, this medication should be used with caution as well.
- This drug should not be used in pregnant or breastfeeding women, severe kidney disease, or those who suffer from fits.
- Amantadine Hydrochloride may cause dizziness and blurred vision. It may affect your ability to perform hazardous activities safely.
- While having this medication, limit alcoholic beverages.
- Let your doctor know if you have any other medications including herbal supplements or vitamins.