Alendronate Sodium (Fosamax) is used to treat and prevent osteoporosis. It is a type of bone loss in adults. Osteoporosis causes the bones to become thinner and break more easily. Your chance of developing this condition increases as you age, after menopause. This helps to rebuild bone and lessens the risk of spine and hip fractures.
How does Alendronate Sodium (Fosamax) work?
Alendronate Sodium (Fosamax) works by decelerating the progression of old bone being removed. It allows the bone-forming cells time to rebuild normal bone. This not only helps prevent the loss of bone but actually helps to rebuild bone. As well as this makes bone less likely to fracture. As a result, this stops or reverses the progression of osteoporosis. Alendronate Sodium begins functioning on the bone cells instantly. But a measurable effect on bone mass may not be seen for several months.
Why use Alendronate Sodium (Fosamax)?
Alendronate Sodium belongs to a family of non-hormonal medications. It is called bisphosphonates. It is a synthetic analog of pyrophosphate that binds to the hydroxyapatite found in bone. Bisphosphonate acts as a specific inhibitor of osteoclastmediated bone resorption. This is approved by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA). You can buy this here at its very reasonable price.
How to use Alendronate Sodium (Fosamax)?
The recommended dosage for Alendronate Sodium will depend on your condition and response. Take this by mouth once a day with a full glass of water. Swallow it as a whole. It is taken after getting up for the day and before taking your first food. Stay fully upright (standing or sitting) for at least 30 minutes. This only works on an empty stomach. Wait at least 1-2 hours after taking it before drinking or eating something. This is not prescribed to take at bedtime. Follow your doctor’s instruction very carefully.
What are the side-effects of Alendronate Sodium (Fosamax)?
- Stomach pain
- Chest pain
- New or unusual pain in your thigh or hip
- Pain or difficulty when swallowing
- Pain under the ribs or in the back
Warnings and Precautions
- Before taking Alendronate Sodium, inform your doctor if you have any allergies. As well as medical history or current medications.
- Consult first a doctor if you are pregnant or breastfeeding women.
- This is not recommended for use in children. This may cause severe side effects like fever, vomiting, or flu-like symptoms.
- Keep this away from the heat and the reach of children.