Acetadote (Acetylcysteine Injection) is indicated to lessen or prevent hepatic injury. It happens after absorption of a potentially hepatotoxic amount of acetaminophen. It is for patients with acute ingestion or from RSI (repeated supratherapeutic ingestion). This is an intravenous injection antidote.
Why use Acetadote (Acetylcysteine Injection)?
Acetadote contains Acetylcysteine, water for injections, and sodium hydroxide for pH adjustment. It is a crystalline powder with a slight acetic odour and is white. It is soluble in water and alcohol. It is also practically insoluble in ether, dichloromethane, and chloroform. This product is approved by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) for medication. You can buy this here at its affordable price.
How does Acetadote (Acetylcysteine Injection)?
Acetadote (Acetylcysteine Injection) has been shown to lessen the extent of liver injury following the overdose in acetaminophen. This medication protects the liver. It restores or maintains the glutathione levels. It acts as an alternate substrate for conjugation with the reactive metabolite of acetaminophen.
How to use Acetadote (Acetylcysteine Injection)?
The recommended dosage for Acetadote depends on your weight and medical condition. The total dose of this is 300mg/kg given as 3 separate doses. It is administered over a total of 21 hours. The overall volume administered should be adjusted for patients below 40 kg. Do not use this alone. This should be given by a pharmacist or a doctor.
What are the side-effects of Acetadote (Acetylcysteine Injection)?
The following are the possible side-effects that may occur while you are using this medication:
- Facial flushing (warmth, redness or tingly feeling)
- Respiratory symptoms (wheezing, cough, noisy breathing, chest tightness)
- Hypotension (low blood pressure)
If these side effects persist or worsen, call your doctor right away.
Warnings and Precautions
These are the things that you need to be precautious with:
- Before taking Acetadote, inform your doctor if you are allergic to it or if you have any allergies.
- Consult your doctor first if you are pregnant, planning to get pregnant, or breastfeeding before using this.
- This should be used with attention in patients with asthma or with a history of bronchospasm.
- This is contraindicated in patients with a previous hypersensitivity reaction to Acetadote.
- Do not share this medication with others who have the same condition as yours.
- Intravenous administration of Acetadote can cause fluid overload that results in hyponatremia, seizure, and death.
- Keep this at a clean place to avoid infection.
- Keep this away from the reach of children and pets.